Wednesday 1 October 2008

Seeing Jesus in the underdog ''YOU DID IT TO ME.'

My friend Mark sent me this story that he read in the UCB daily readings. I have heard the story before and believe the minister in question was Tony Compolo.The message is well taken and is similar to the video 'Free hugs campaign' I have on my Video links. Check it out next. AK
A minister on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia USA noticed a homeless man coming towards him. He was filthy and his beard was caked with rotten food. He was holding a cup of coffee and the lip of the cup was dirty. Staggering up to him the hobo exclaimed, 'Hey, mister. You want some of my coffee?' The pastor really didn't, but he thought it was the right thing to do, so he said, 'Sure, I'll take a sip.' When he handed the cup back he remarked, 'You're generous giving away your coffee.' Looking at him the derelict replied, 'Well, it was particularly delicious today, and I think if God gives you something that good you should share it!' The pastor continued: 'I figured I was being set up and it would cost me five bucks. So I asked him, "Is there something I can do for you in return?" The man answered, "Yeah, you can give me a hug!" (To tell the truth, I was hoping for the five dollar option!) He put his arms around me, and I suddenly realised he wasn't going to let me go! People were passing by and staring at me. There I was, dressed in my establishment garb, hugging this filthy bum! I was embarrassed. Then little by little my embarrassment changed to awe. I heard a voice echoing down the corridors of time saying, "I was hungry; did you feed Me? I was naked; did you clothe Me? I was sick; did you care for Me? I was the bum you met on Chestnut Street...did you hug me? For if you did...you did it to Me."'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good story

William