Wednesday 8 February 2017

On the birthday of my late friend Romanos who passed away a few month ago.


I read this poem to my friend Romanos a few days before he passed away, on message video from Belfast, Ireland. He said he wanted a copy which I duly sent him. I think its sentiment sums up Romanos' persona and should also be the aim of those whose desire is to be like Christ. On his birthday we miss his presence physically but through God's Spirit we are comforted by the Lord, and sense also the presence of the Christ that was in him.
Not merely in the words you say,
Not only in your deeds you do,
But in the most unconscious way
Is Christ expressed.
Is it a beatific smile?
A holy frown upon your brow?
Oh no! I felt his presence
When you laughed just now.
To me, ’twas not the truth you taught,
To you so clear, to me still dim,
But when you came you brought
A sense of him.
And from your eyes he beckons me
And from your heart his love is shed,
Till it's no longer you I see
But Christ instead.

1 comment:

Nathanael V. said...

I love this poem, I heard it first in song form by Phil Keaggy. I miss Romanos, he was my Greek Orthodox father and mentor.